science without borders



Students looking for admission into the September 2012 fall semester will be identified based on merit. You will have to show an excellent record of studies; that you have completed between 20% and 90% of your program of studies; and you will need to show that you have enough knowledge of the language of instruction – English or French – at the Canadian university you wish to apply to.

Eligibility requirements

To be considered for a scholarship candidates must:

  • be citizens of Brazil;
  • be currently registered in an undergraduate program in a university in Brazil;
  • have completed at least 20%, but no more than 90% of their required degree in Brazil;
  • must demonstrate a consistently high level of academic performance; and
  • be proficient in English or in French.

Candidates must also agree to remain in Brazil for double the number of months that they will have studied in Canada upon completion of their study abroad program.

Dates and Deadlines

Access to the call and information relating to the national/Brazilian selection process is posted on the Ciência sem Fronteiras website. Starting in the middle of May successful scholarship candidates will be invited to apply for placement at a Canadian university through the Science Without Borders CBIE website (see the “Application Process” section below).

Immigration and Visa Information

Study Permits:

After being accepted by an institution for a program of study in Canada, you should apply for a study permit at the nearest Canadian Visa Office. Your application should be filed at least three months prior to the commencement of classes. For nationals of Brazil, a temporary resident visa is also required; this is issued at the same time as the study permit.

In order to apply for a study permit, you need the following documents:

  • A valid passport
  • Copy of the letter of acceptance from the Canadian university
  • Evidence of adequate funds to cover tuition and living costs for you and your accompanying dependents, including return transportation. A copy of the scholarship letter from CAPES or CNPq confirming the value of your scholarship is acceptable proof of funds.
  • For students going to Quebec institutions, a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from Quebec immigration authorities
  • In some cases, a medical examination by a doctor designated by the Canadian government may be needed. The immigration officer will provide information on this requirement.

There is a processing charge of $125 (March 2012) for the study permit. There is no fee for the temporary resident visa when it is issued with a study permit.

A personal interview with a visa officer may be required; any documentation which might be useful as a demonstration of strong ties to your country of origin may be of assistance at the interview.

Under no circumstance should you come to Canada without a valid study permit and temporary resident visa.

Learn more about study permits at: (click “to study”).

Internship Permits:

Students who will engage in an on-campus research internship during the course of their stay in Canada are NOT required to obtain a work or internship permit.

Students who will participate in an off-campus internship during the course of their stay in Canada are required to obtain an Internship Permit (please note that this is different from an off-campus work permit). Although it is possible to apply for the Internship Permit once you are in Canada, the process takes longer and you are strongly advised to obtain an Internship Permit in advance of your arrival.

You should apply for this permit at the same time as you are applying for your study permit even if you do not yet know the specifics of the work placement (for example, which company you will be working for, or your starting date.) If you are unsure whether or not you will participate in an on- or off-campus placement, you should apply for and obtain an Internship Permit prior to coming to Canada. Please note, however, that if you end up with an on-campus internship placement, you will not be refunded the cost of applying for the internship permit (which is not very high). In order to apply for an internship permit, the following documents are required:

  • A letter from the Canadian host university confirming the internship placement within an off-campus organization.

Application Process

Students who have been selected by CAPES or CNPq to receive a Science Without Borders scholarship for studies in Canada will be contacted directly by CBIE and invited to submit their application online through a protected portal. For information about the application process and in order to familiarize yourself with the required documentation ahead of time, please consult the Application Guidelines below.

To apply for a Canada-Brazil Science Without Borders Scholarship, please read the following instructions carefully.


  • must complete the online application form (through a protected portal);
  • should have electronic versions of the requested supporting documents ready to upload to the online application form;
  • must verify the data prior to submission and check the permission box;
  • must enter the information directly into the field or copy and paste it from another source;
  • can obtain a hard copy for record keeping by printing the form prior to submitting using the print function in the browser;
  • must click SUBMIT for the online application. A confirmation page and reference number will appear after submission; and
  • should make arrangements to have the requested official, certified documents submitted directly to the Canadian Bureau for International Education.

Supporting documents

After completing the online application form, you will be prompted to upload and attach the following documents to the online application form in either .pdf, .jpg, .doc, .docx, .txt or .gif. format.

  • Academic transcript in English or French
  • Language test results
  • Copy of your valid passport (if your passport expires sooner than six months prior to the travel date, you must apply for a new one)
  • Signed and dated consent form [attach in hyperlink]

Following the submission of the online application form, please arrange to have the following official, certified documents submitted directly to the Canadian Bureau for International Education:

  • Three (3) official certified transcripts in English or French from your academic institution
  • Official language test results from a recognized testing centre

The preceding documents must be sent directly, by mail or courier, to:

Canada-Brazil Science Without Borders Scholarship Program
Canadian Bureau for International Education
220 Laurier Avenue West, Suite 1550
Ottawa ON  K1P 5Z9

Dates and deadlines

The deadline for the online application form is May 24, 2012. The deadline to submit official supporting documentation is June 14, 2012.

Applications received late or incomplete will not necessarily be considered for the September 2012 academic term.

Please ensure that supporting documents are received by the respective deadlines.


All online applications received by the deadline that meet the eligibility requirements will be reviewed by the Canadian Bureau for International Education.

When completing the application form, candidates may specify up to three institutions that they would like to be placed at in Canada. The Canadian Bureau for International Education will seek to respond to the applicant’s preference, but does not guarantee placement at the institution(s) selected.

The Canadian Bureau for International Education will submit applications to Canadian institutions on behalf of eligible candidates and may coordinate with the candidate should further information be required by a Canadian institution.


The Canadian Bureau for International Education will notify successful candidates of their placement by June 12, 2012. Specific details regarding accommodation, work placement and language studies will be provided at this time.

Please note that successful candidates will be responsible for their own travel arrangements, visa requirements and health insurance although CBIE will provide visa support, as much as possible.